Kaliah Flynn
 Posted: Jan 11 2017, 08:46 AM
Townfolk
Miss America
Bossy

Elyssa
187 Posts
Kaliah Flynn
YOU'RE MY AMARANTHINE. YOU ARE ALL I NEEDED, BELIEVE ME...

Footsteps crunched on the snow that had fallen that week, as the lone figure walked through the snow and ice on the sidewalks of the Main street in the tiny town. Her fingers, with their delicately manicured nails, were stuffed into the pockets of her oh so fashionable pink peacoat that covered her, helping to fight off the bitter chill that threatened to have her start shivering.

Thoughts plagued her mind. Doubts about herself, about her safety, about the safety of everyone around her, filled her. Even her very sanity was questioned, at this point. Things were being moved, in her home. She knew they were. Things were simply not where she remembered leaving them, when she came home from the bakery, day after day, since the day after Christmas. Thoughts that Vihaan had found her, that he would hurt someone she cared about, chased each other around in her head. She had spoken with Lahni, who assured her that Vihaan did not know where she was, that Lahni's phone had been destroyed after the reading at the library on Christmas Eve, and that Liah was perfectly safe.

Liah wasn't so sure of that, herself.

She needed something to do, something to take her mind off of all of this, that they were supposed to have left behind in Hawaii, when they moved halfway across the country to escape Vihaan's reign of terror. Liah only had so many skills, to offer. She looked good in lingerie and jewelry. She could sing and dance, and if pushed, could act decently. And she could bake. Of those, she really only felt like baking, or at least preparing food of some sort. Maybe learn Mexican cooking? That might be something enjoyable. James' family was Mexican, she recalled. Maybe she would be able to make his Mama something that she might like, someday?

The local Hispanic bakery loomed on the horizon, and Liah huffed a breath, and headed towards the building, the warmth from the ovens and the heating hitting her like a brick wall, as she opened the door. She had never met the man who ran this store before, but she had heard a lot about him. Good-natured, excellent at what he did, and mostly from her friends, hot as all hell. Kaliah saw him when she entered, and she took in his appearance. So, the reports were accurate, on that front.

Liah gave him a smile in greeting. “Hi, there,” She started, standing barely taller than the display racks that his food was kept in. “I'm Kaliah.....I run the other bakery in town.” Liah wanted to be up front with who she was and why she was here. She didn't want there to be any misconstrued thoughts about her stealing his recipes. “I...uh....I know this is probably a little out of the ordinary for another baker to ask you this, but....”

Liah looked at the food that was in the case and it all looked amazing. She didn't know what half of it was, if it was sweet or savory even. Looking back up at the man, she smiled slightly. “I'd really appreciate it if you could teach me about Hispanic food, even just a little.” Holding up her hands a bit, which were shaking from the nerves that had plagued her since Christmas, Liah tried to explain herself. “I am not looking to expand my business, or steal your recipes, in any way. I....”

Running a hand over her hair, which was pulled up in a long ponytail today, Liah looked a little troubled. “I moved here to get away from some things in my life that I wanted to leave behind. And I can't stop being afraid that they've followed us here. I just want an hour or two a week, just to relax and take my mind off things, and have a good time. Maybe learn a few things in the process....although......no guarantees there. I'm not too good with making actual food, just baking things, so....” Liah smirched her mouth to one side. “You're probably going to tell me you don't do lessons....and I understand totally.”

Outfit with longer top and no belly button ring

--------------------
user posted image
PM
EMAIL
^
Gabriel Velasquez
 Posted: Jan 12 2017, 01:24 PM
Townfolk
N/A
N/A
N/A

N/A
1 Posts

Gabriel was busy most of the early morning getting pastries and tamales ready to sell. Breakfast had come and gone and now just the bakery was open. It was a slow around this time so he and his employees spent most of it getting things prepared for tomorrow and at this point. They had music playing while they worked. Gabriel pulled out a large pot of menudo which everyone was taking a break at that point having a meal before finishing up for the day. Gabriel squeezed a lemon into the spicy tomatoey soup and added in some cilantro and onion. He had a coke sitting next to him on the counter as he leaned back against it, holding the bowl of the soup in one hand and a corn tortilla with a little bit of butter in the other.

He talked with an older woman, laughing over something that happened earlier with a customer. There was a decent Hispanic population in town but this being Texas it didn’t mean there weren’t plenty of ignorant folk out there. One particular out of towner tried to yell at the older woman thinking that yelling would somehow translate to another language. They had to find humor in the ignorance of others. No one in the bakery was American born. Not even Gabriel. He came here as a child and only recently gained full citizenship.

The older woman was making fresh flour tortillas and packaging them to be delivered to the local grocery stores as well as used for their business. They got profits from the grocers and they could sell directly out of the bakery when it was open. It was a win win for them. When the bell over the door rang, Gabriel quickly put down the bowl of menduo and wiped his mouth on a napkin before turning to greet the customer.

“Hola, how are you today, señorita?” Gabriel asked with a charming smile, his accent very thick and distinct. It was very obvious English was not his first language but he spoke it well enough. His eyes watched the pretty lady as she seemed to struggle getting to why she was there. He waited patiently, and nodded when she finally got to it. She went on to talk about how she came to start a new life and how she felt she was being followed. He could empathize with her on many things. For many years he lived in fear of being deported. While it might not exactly be the same he could understand always having to look over ones shoulder. “How could I say no to such a pretty woman?” He asked with a smile. The older woman making tortillas laughed, shaking her head but said nothing more.

He came from around the counter and offered his hand. “First thing.” He said gesturing to the speakers with the other hand. “Loosen up.” He then moved in and started dancing slowly, moving his feet to the beat of the music, taking her hands in his. When the music stopped he gestured for her to follow him behind the counter. “This is Maria, good friend of mine. Juan in the back.” He gestured to a dark haired man with a thick mustache and a hairnet cleaning the floors. “I am Gabriel.” He placed a hand to his chest then and looked around his bakery. “And this is Esperanda’s it means hope.” He then took her to the case of all the baked goods they sold and explained which ones were which. “Bolillos, conchas, volcanos, orejas, chilindrinas, empanadas, mantecados, rellenos…” the list went on for a bit before he stopped and smiled again. “It is all very complicated but you will learn quickly I think.” He looked back at the pastries then to Kaliah. “Think on which kind you want to learn first and we start lessons tomorrow if okay?”

Gabriel Polyvore
the music
PM
EMAIL
^
Kaliah Flynn
 Posted: Jan 12 2017, 06:21 PM
Townfolk
Miss America
Bossy

Elyssa
187 Posts
Kaliah Flynn
YOU'RE MY AMARANTHINE. YOU ARE ALL I NEEDED, BELIEVE ME...

The handsome man asked her how she was, and called her senorita. Kaliah smiled and tilted her head a bit. “I don't know enough Spanish to give you an honest answer so I'll just say 'Muy bien, gracias.'” That was about the extent of her Spanish. He listened to her patiently, which relieved Kaliah, instead of just saying no right away. When he answered, she blushed, and smiled, looking relieved. “Oh, you'd be surprised the amount of people who say no to me. It is apparently not as difficult as it seems.”

The older woman laughed, and Kaliah smiled softly, knowing she was more amused, and not laughing at Kaliah directly. The handsome man came around the counter and offered her his hand. Kaliah reached out and took it, gingerly, and then was pleased when he started dancing. Liah smiled, and danced with him. She was not as familiar with the music as he was, but she kept up nicely. This was how it used to be. Before Vihaan had asked her out, and decided that she belonged to him for the rest of her life. She was smiling widely, laughing even, as the dance came to a close.

He introduced the two others, and Kaliah nodded to them. “Very nice to meet you both. I'm Kaliah.” He gave her his name then, and Kaliah smiled. “Very nice to meet you too, Gabriel.” When Gabriel told her what the bakery's name meant, Kaliah nodded slowly to him. “Hope is something I need desperately. I moved here to find hope.”

Kaliah followed him over to the display case, and he pointed out all the different baked goods. They all looked so foreign to her, which, she supposed they were. One name caught her attention, and she said “Volcanoes, that reminds me of home.” She looked at him and smirked. “I'm from Hawaii.” She pursed her lips and decided on the second one. “Empanadas.....I've heard of those. What is in those, exactly? I know there is filling in there.” Gabriel said that the lessons would start tomorrow, and Liah thought through her schedule. “What time is good for you, then? I don't want to be an inconvenience.”

--------------------
user posted image
PM
EMAIL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS
NEW POLL

skin by panic! its lauz of caution & atf.